Japanese Whisky Sour
- 2 oz Nikka Days Japanese Whisky or substitute your favourite
- 1 oz Lemon juice fresh is always the best
- 1 oz Yuzo Juice substitute lime juice if not readily available
- 1/2 oz Simple syrup or try Japanese kuromitsu
- 1 Egg white can be omitted
- Ice cubes
- Lemon wheel for garnish
- Place all ingredients except the ice cubes in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously to incorporate the egg white for a rich tasting cocktail.
- Add ice cubes to the cocktail shaker and shake again to chill.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish and enjoy!
- Because Yuzo fruit can be difficult to source it may be easier to get bottled juice, just be careful you aren't getting the yuzo sparkling beverages, it won't be the same. It can be found in Asian markets, Wholefoods and even on Amazon!
- Japanese Kuromitsu is a Japanese sugar syrup, kind of like molasses but not as strong or thick. You could also make this with honey or molasses in place of the simple sugar syrup.
- Egg white is not absolutely necessary but it can round out the tart flavours and give you a cocktail with a a lovely, luxurious mouthfeel.
- If you are feeling sassy, instead if lemon garnish try using angostura bitters to simulate cherry blossoms.