Special EventsPlanning a Party at Home or Gala at a Rented Venue?
We can help you make the most of your special event
- Need help with a Special Occasions Licences ?
- Want a particular product?
- Need to know how much wine, beer or spirits you need for your party?
- Want your product delivered?
Who needs a Special Event Permit?
A Special Event Permit (SEP) is required for an event organizer or host (i.e., individual, organization or business) to sell or serve liquor in a location that is not a
- Private residence
- Private Place
- Licensed establishment
- A special event may be held in a licensed establishment, but the establishment must temporarily suspend their liquor licence to do so
The host or organizer of the event must apply for a SEP. A permit cannot be issued to a person or business (i.e., liquor service provider) that is not the organizer of the event.
Selling liquor includes direct and indirect charges for liquor
- For example, including a drink in the price of event admission
What types of events require a liquor permit?
A SEP is commonly issued for a:
- Manufacturer tasting
- Beer or wine judging competition
- Private function and family gathering
- Social, cultural, recreational, religious, sporting or community event
- Mass invitation, customer appreciation event
Visit the link below to learn whether your event requires a SEP.
BC Government Website March 2023
Follow this link to apply for a special event permit